The town officially began around the site of a 5,000-gallon water tank constructed to serve the steam engines of the Chester and Lenoir Narrow Gauge Railroad. According to local legend, excess water spilling on the ground caused patches of clover to spring up. Railroad workers began referring to the town as Clover Patch. The Town was chartered on December 24, 1887. Clover became a booming textile community. Textiles continue to play a part of the community’s economy. The town has since grown steadily, reaching a population of 5,094 in 2010.
Named by the railroad for the patch of Clover which grew at the railroad stop in the 1800’s