Lancaster County, SC Real Estate

    Lancaster County is located in the north central area of South Carolina and is approximately 40 miles south of Charlotte, North Carolina and 60 miles north of Columbia, South Carolina. Lancaster County covers 549 square miles and has an estimated population of 76,652. The county comprises three incorporated communities – Lancaster, Kershaw, and Heath Springs.

    The County has a Council-Administrator form of government with seven council members.

    Lancaster County and its county seat were named for Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The county was formed in 1785, and it was originally part of the Camden District. A part of Lancaster County was removed in 1791 to form Kershaw County. Scotch-Irish settlers from Pennsylvania began moving into this upstate region in the 1750s.

    The area abounds with landmarks of historical significance. The following are just some of these landmarks:

    • Buford’s Massacre Site, the site of Col. Buford’s 1780 defeat by the British after the fall of Charles Town, with memorials to those who died in the Revolutionary War.
    • Kilburnie, the oldest standing Lancaster residence. Built in the 1820’s, the house has been moved to Craig Farm Road and is now a Bed & Breakfast inn.
    • Old Presbyterian Church and Cemetery, the first brick church in the region. Built in 1862, it features Gothic revival architecture and is currently the home of the Lancaster County Society for Historical Preservation and is on the National Landmark Register.
    • Lancaster County Courthouse was designed by Robert Mills in 1825-1828. The Courthouse
      Battle of Buford Monument
      Battle of Buford Monument
      is on the National Landmark Register.
    • The Old Lancaster County Jail, used from 1823-1979 as the county jail, is also a national landmark. It was designed by Robert Mills.

    Famous Lancastrians include: Andrew Jackson, seventh President of the United States of America; Charles Duke, astronaut; Nina Mae McKinney, actress and Broadway star; Elliott White Springs, textile industrialist; and Dr. J. Marion Sims, who is known as the “father of modern gynecology.”

    For additional information, https://www.mylancastersc.org/